Pages

Friday 21 September 2012

Visit in Kungsbacka

It all started with this thread: http://www.hififorum.nu/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=77206&whichpage=1
Some guy had linked that thread to me on some other forum and I got very interested by the speakers we was building. The QW-1 seemed like a nice speaker, and with the Beyma Liberty8 woofer it would fit nice in my budget.

I started an e-mail conversation with Ingvar and he let me come visit him during the Gothenburg Hifi Show since I was already in Gothenburg and he lived 25 minutes away. So, on sunday morning I took the commuter train to Kungsbacka. He was waiting for me at the station and then we started walking to his place. I had expected him to live in a standalone house, thinking of his huge speakers, but he actually lived in an apartment. He didn't have any QW-1 home for the weekend, nor the ROG so the only option was the OY using two 6" Morel CAW 638 in an aperiodic box and a Morel tweeter of unknown model.

So we started the listening with some rock music, AC/DC, Metallica, Thin Lizzy and that kind of stuff. Not very impressive and it sounded just decent. Then we put on the track Fuhre Mich with Rammstein while the volume was turned up pretty loud. Now it suddenly became interesting. Even at such high levels the sound was clean and the bass incredibly powerful and clear. I almost started looking for some hidden subwoofers!

We continued the listening session with some more rock music before we went on to some electronic and modern "pop" music. Then we finished with some typical audiophile stuff and even here they were playing it really well even at high levels.

At ~10500SEK for a complete kit including everything but the finish (assemble them yourself) I think it's a very good deal and I'll most likely order a pair on sunday. I haven't decided for the finish yet though.

No comments:

Post a Comment