Pages

Wednesday, 11 April 2012

Blue Coast Collection (2012)

I actually got this album just by pure luck. I was just looking around at the diyaudio forum and there was a guy linking to this album and it was at sale for $0.01. I just couldn't miss out on such a great deal! I bought the album and after spending quite some time downloading the album (it was huge!) I started listening. The recordings were unlike anything I have ever heard before. E.S.E stands for Extended Sound Enviroment and I must say the soundstage on all tracks in this album really is top class. All tracks are acoustic recordings performed live in the studio without the use of headphones, overdubs or digital effects. E.S.E makes use of room and direct microphone placement to optimize full tonal response from the intruments and character of the room while allowing the musicians to position themselves to eachother without the use of headphones. More information at their website Blue Coast Records.

The first song, Looking for a Home, reminds me a little of Alison Krauss. Nothing special really about this song except for the superb audio quality. A perfect example of a great acoustic recording. If you're into bluegrass and country music you'll most likely like this song.

The third track, Lilianna, is a little interesting. It reminds me of when I was in Naxos, Greece. I used to eat at a restaurant close to the beach which played music that sounded exactly like this. Enough about that, but this track brings back some good memories and teleports me to a place far away from the cold and vast forests of Sweden. I have no idea what language he sings in, but it sounds cool to me. A little variety from all English tracks.

Track number five, The Dog Song, is one of my personal favorites. A simple track with just an acoustic guitar and a male voice. One thing that bothers me though is the background noise which isn't exclusively on this track but it's on the whole album. When listening on speakers it's barely noticable but on headphones it's somewhat disturbing. One interesting thing about this song is that the voice isn't in the center of the soundstage, as it always is. It's shifted a little to the right channel which makes it a little more interesting.

Immediately Blessed, track number seven, is probably my favorite track on this album. The rich male voice sounds just so good and the whole song is very relaxing, almost makes one want to fall asleep. The guitar and the voice sounds very realistic and there's nothing to complain on (except from that bloody background noise...). There is actually a video on YouTube from the recording session. Interesting!

MasVis analysis

Audio quality - 9.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment